Wednesday 23 January 2013

Happiness is health (a post I wrote to enter a blogger contest).

Happiness is health. I made a very conscious decision to enjoy my life and be grateful for what I have. For me, my emotional health is my priority. If I feel good then everything else falls into place. Or, it would if I had the time to clean and make space for it to fall. Napping with my baby, playing with my three year old and meal planning with my six year old all make me happy. I feel rested and emotionally connected when I've snuggled the baby. I feel fit and full of energy after chasing my three year old on her bike or playing Just Dance. And sharing healthy and decadent meals sith my family that I've planned and cooked with my oldest brings me utter joy. A glass of wine or freezer-cold Ciroc with my partner are nice too! It is all about moderation, and not at all about "balance" but rather capitalizing in pockets of time to get what needs to bedtime started even if it can't be completed.

It's a cliche but it is true: if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of others. But I also like to take care of myself. I can't spend half a day at the spa for a massage and pedicure anymore but as a cook, I love to grocery shop. As an avid reader I love to browse books in store or online.eaching my girls that sometimes Mama needs a few minutes isn't telling them they are unimportant but teaching them to know when to take some "me"'time. And when I hear my six and three year olds say to each and and to me "I need to read (or play) by myself for a little bit." I know I'm doing the right thing.
Capitalize on those pockets of time! What can you get done in fifteen minutes while all three kids are occupied. Don't worry about the most important thing, don't worry about what someone else gets done in that time. I use my iPhone to write out reminders and lists at night just to get them out of head. That way I'm not paralyzed for the first few minutes trying to figure out what to do. And make sure yiu prioritize your children. You will regret it at night when things have finally quieted down if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment