Tuesday 26 November 2013

Just a chocolate quickie

OMG I can't believe I haven't shared this fabulous discovery with everyone.  Because as far as I know, everyone has a love-hate relationship with Nutella.  As in, they love it and they may or may not eat it with a spoon.  But they hate giving it to their kids because it contains the dreaded modified palm kernel oil.

And so, in my opinion, I have made a life changing discovery: homemade chocolate spread!

I realize that this discovery is not unique and certainly most Italians familiar with gianduja, will be quite familiar with my life altering recipe; however, that will not stop me from proclaiming its awesomeness.

With many props to the domestic goddess Nigella Lawson, without who's recipe for 
Chocolate-Pistachio cake, I would not have made this delicious and delectable spread.

So, without further ado, run to your kitchen and grab a couple of handfuls of hazelnuts or pistachios. Hazelnuts will be more authentic, however they have a tendency to go rancid a little faster.  And yes, I used salted pistachios and did not find the end result salty.  In a food processor, though a vitamix would result in the smoothest powder and a mallet or rolling pin would do in a pinch with the crunchiest powder, blitz the nuts to powder. Simultaneously melt a few bars of Lindt 70%cocoa chocolate bras.  I chose Lindt because it's the best quality I can find at costco! as money is a factor here.  These bars have no modified oils of any kind listed in the label and no artificial flavours.  Once the chocolate is melted and cooled but not hardened, add to food processor with a couple of tablespoons of unsalted or salted butter, a splash of vanilla, and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar.  Blitz until creamy and try not to eat the entire thing with a spoon.  Obviously the butter renders this unstable for shelf storage but you could easily dollop it in a ice cube tray and leave that I'm the fridge or wrap it in wax paper and slice off small amounts to come to room temperature before use.

And that my friends is how you make a little bit of awesomeness with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment